Every youth deserves a trained leader!
Help deliver the Scout Promise by being a better trained leader.
Parents expect to have their boys led by quality-trained leaders, and upon recruitment, we promise to train new leaders in their positions. To achieve this objective, the Boy Scouts of America have designed interactive and fun training sessions.
There are numerous training opportunities offered during the calendar year. Courses range from basic leader orientations to how to camp with numerous Scouts and their families in a Pack setting to advanced leadership training for adults, Wood Badge. Training is available to assit you as you provide a quality program for the youth.
Required Training to Wear the "Trained" patch as a Cub Scout Leader:
Check the Calendar for the next face to face training or click on the "Online Training" tab to take the courses online.
* Fast Start Training: the initial training for all leaders in all programs. It is a quick job description with basic tips.
* Youth Protection Training: This training increases awareness in youth protection issues, reviews all of the BSA youth protection policies and is required for all of the leader training awards. Youth Protection Training is required for all registered leaders participating in any nationally conducted event or activity and is required for anyone working directly with the youth.
* This is Scouting: Replaces New Leader Essentials. Designed for all volunteers and provides the basics of the Scouting programs, the age appropriateness of those programs, and our values and methods.
* Cub Scout Leader Specific Training: Leader specific includes five different breakout sessions related to Cub Scouting for Tiger, Wolf, Bear and Webelos Den Leaders and Assistants, Pack Committee Chairs, Committee Members, and Cubmasters and Assistants.
Once the "Trained" strip has been earned, Cub Scout Leaders are highly encouraged to take part in the following training opportunities:
* Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation (BALOO) - Techniques for planning a safe camping experience for Cub Scouts. One full day of training.
* Outdoor Skills for Webelos Leaders - Essential outdoor skills for Webelos Leaders to share with their Webelos. May be held in conjunction with Boy Scout Leader Introduction to Outdoor Leadership Skills.
* Pow Wow/University of Scouting - Day long program of action, activities and program ideas.
* Wood Badge - Weeklong or multiple weekend training course designed to provide adults with advanced leadership skills and a more dedicated involvement in Scouting.
*** Cub Scout Leader Roundtable - Monthly program with the purpose of giving leaders the skills and ideas they need to deliver an exciting Cub Scout Program to the boys.